Friday, December 6, 2013

Why Bring a Child into this World?

Being a parent is potentially the greatest thing we will ever do in this life. We have been blessed with the very sacred and special opportunity to bring children into the world and raise them in righteousness. What greater gift could we ever ask or seek for?

One of the greatest purposes of parenting that I have studied this week is the capacity to love. Through this we, as parents, can learn:
1. To understand God
2. To serve
3. To become selfless
4. To be forced to encounter challenges
5. To prepare for eternal life
6. And to learn to love

It really is amazing the impact that parenting can have on the parent's, themselves.

Brother Michael Williams said, "We are reparented as we parent." How true a statement that is!

When we first think of becoming a parent whether it's for the first, third, or sixth time...it can be scary. We're scared because we're not quite sure if we're ready because we're still learning. However scary it may seem, I see it as being one of the most gratifying and selfless thing we could do. Giving of our time and ourselves to another human being. Giving absolutely everything we have to them. It's the ultimate sacrifice - but one that is so perfect despite the difficulties that will come.

Now I still don't know what that feeling is...but I have seen it. I have been a recipient of it. I chose to come to this earth knowing full well how difficult it would be. I knew there were going to be struggles. I knew that there was going to be heartbreak. I knew there were going to be times when I wondered how much more I could take before I broke. However, I knew the happiness that would come. I knew that I would overcome. I knew that it would be the greatest experience I could ever ask for.

And that's what I imagine parenting to be. We know we're going to be bringing children into this world in some way. We know there are going to be difficulties, struggles, heartbreak, and questioning. But we also know that there is going to be happiness, learned strength, and the greatest experience we could ever ask for.


Why bring a child into this world? 
Created by Unilever Project Sunlight

Avec Amour,

Elisse

No comments:

Post a Comment