Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Fatherhood


"Earthly Father, Heavenly Father" 
Mormon Message made by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints


(Script from the video) "I'm awake. I remember Him. I gaze upon them before I part. They lie in their bed, unaware of me watching. I leave, they sleep. The small home I help provide is their world. They play, they explore, learning to move, to feel, to see, to know, not once thinking how it all came to be. Crayons, toys, books; it's all for them. The fridge opens, the pantry exposed, they expect food to be there. Not a thought, not a doubt, just hunger. Cereal, milk, yogurt, messy fingers, messy faces, all fed. Tummies are full. Now it's nap time. My wife likes nap time. Once again, they lay in the comfort we provide. All while I work, I'm far, but close; always thinking of them. My phone rings, I only hear breathing. I smile; my wife's phone is now missing. I do it all for them. I work, that they may grow. They trust so deeply; how I yearn to do the same. They see so little of how it all came to be, never questioning, only trusting. I come home; two-second hugs. Now I'm a horse. We eat dinner, brush teeth. Jammy time. Finally, it's bed time. Once again, they lay their heads on the pillows we provide. I will be their protector. I will be their gentle friend. I will be my wife's faithful husband. I am a father, I am also a son. And while I may not understand all that He does for me, I do know that all that I am, and all that I have is because He's a father to me. I now stand, very aware, of how it all came to be."


Fatherhood is a fairly controversial topic in today's society. There has been some talk that father's may not even be necessary. Could you imagine it? A world with no fathers? 


In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), we learn that we are to strive to become perfect. What better way for a man to become perfect than to be like our Father in Heaven?


Heavenly Father has done so much for each of us - He has provided everything. Literally everything. 


Our Heavenly Father:

1. Watches over us
2. Blesses us
3. Gives us comfort
4. Listens when we need Him to - and even when we don't ask Him
5. Always answers our prayers
6. Knows and wants the best for us and will do anything to give the best to us
7. Never forgets us - even if we sometimes forget Him
8. Brings peace, hope, love, charity
9. Sacrifices everything 
10. Wants us to return to Him
11. Is always, always, always there
12. Never turns away from us
13. Guides our lives but lets us live the way we want
14. Allows us to always make a choice
15. Offers us advice
16. Unconditionally loves us no matter the decisions we make
17. Reveals His will 
18. Has a unique and distinct plan for each of us
19. Knows us by name
20. Knows what's in our thoughts and heart
21. Has the power to heal - physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually
22. Provides

I could go on and on and on. But think about that list for a moment - really think about it. Listed above is a perfect man. A perfect father. It's obvious how much we need Him in our lives, whether or not we want to recognize it. We are nothing without our Heavenly Father, just as we are nothing without an earthly father.


So that's why it breaks my heart to know that there are those who believe a father to be unnecessary. Pointless. Unimportant. 


Honestly, despite our individual experiences - despite what we think we know to be true concerning fatherhood - we need fathers. 


Avec Amour, 


Elisse   

No comments:

Post a Comment